Hospice care is covered under Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance). You are eligible for Medicare hospice benefits when:
- You are eligible for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance); and
- Your doctor and the hospice medical director certify that you are terminally ill and probably have less than six months to live; and
- You sign a statement choosing hospice care instead of routine Medicare covered benefits for your terminal illness*; and
- You receive care from a Medicare-approved hospice program.
* Medicare will still pay for covered benefits for any health problems that are not related to your terminal illness. For more detail view the Medicare Hospice Benefit Brochure.